Some services have fees associated with them, while others do not. Complete and submit the records request form for any type of records request.
Citation Sign Offs – $17.00
Public may bring in citations issued by the Sheriff’s Office for sign off during normal business hours Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. They must pay the fee at Records and obtain a receipt prior to the deputy checking for the necessary corrections. The deputy will only sign off on the citation if the information is validated. There are no refunds even if the citation is unable to be signed off by our Department.
Fingerprinting Services (LiveScan) - $20.00 per ink card
Appointments may be made online or over the phone for electronic fingerprints. Refer to Sheriff’s homepage and click on Fingerprinting Appointments for detailed information.
CJIC Reviews – $25.00
Subjects may request a copy of their local criminal record for a fee. People living in Santa Clara County are required to come in person and show a valid ID before their request is processed. They will be asked to provide relevant information to fill out the necessary paperwork. They will be fingerprinted to verify that they match the subject of record. Their criminal record will be mailed to them within 4 weeks. People living out of Santa Clara County and outside this State are required to submit the following:
- Fingerprint card from a local police department
- Notarized letter including subject’s identifying information and contact information
- Personal check payable to Office of the Sheriff Santa Clara County (or abbreviate SCC S/O) in the amount of $25.00
Fees are $189.00 for all stored vehicles, no fee for recovered stolen vehicles. Vehicles are released to the registered owner only, with certain exceptions:
- You must have a photo ID and a valid driver’s license if the vehicle was towed for driving without a license or expired registration.
- For Registered Owners without a valid drivers’ license they may authorize another person with a valid driver’s license to sign the vehicle release form on their behalf.
- The vehicle must be currently registered before it is released (except for recovered stolen vehicles)
Visa/Clearance Letters – $20.00
We provide clearance letters for the following situations:
- If you require a visa to travel outside the US for employment, school, church or adoption purposes.
- If you have a letter from US INS specifying that a police clearance letter is needed to process your application.
You need to have proper identification (photo ID, DL, Passport). You need to supply the mailing address of the agency, consulate or embassy the letter needs to be addressed to. In cases when the letter needs to be sent in care of another agency both addresses must be provided. Clearance letters are processed at the time of request and will be sealed and handed to you.
You must bring your own notary if you need the letter notarized. If a criminal record exists for a requestor the processing time may take longer, and you will be called when it is ready.
Records Checks for Federal Agencies
The Security Clearance Information Act requires that criminal agencies provide criminal history record information to Department of Defense, Office of Personnel Management, Central Intelligence Agency and the Federal Bureau of Investigation to determine the eligibility of an individual for access to classified information or assignment to sensitive national security duties. The Sheriff’s Office conducts background checks for this purpose for a fee of $5.00 for checks with no criminal records and $ 12.00 if a record has been found on an individual. A valid signed waiver with subject’s name and date of birth is required.
Completed checks are released to the requestor/agent upon verification of his identity and upon payment of this service. The requester is given a billing statement and receipt for his records. Requests may be faxed, mailed or brought in person. Completed records must be picked up in person. For additional information and fax number please call the Records Back Counter at (408) 808-4705 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.