Sheriff's Correctional Deputy Cadet
Transportation bus parked outside the Elmwood Correctional Facility.
The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office demands the highest standards of honesty, professionalism, and integrity to maintain public trust, respect, and community partnership.
Under supervision, maintain order and security of inmates within a detention facility, transport from the correctional facilities to and from court, medical facilities, and other locations within and outside the County, supervise a crew of inmates in work projects throughout the County, and assist in the correction of antisocial attitudes and behavior.
Specialty assignments include Transportation, Classification, Emergency Response Team, Jail Training Officer, Internal Affairs, Custody Alternative Supervision, Programs, Academy Recruit Training Officer, and many more.
- 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- High school graduate or pass a high school equivalency test.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
- Pass a complete background investigation including fingerprints and a search of local, state, and national files for a criminal history.
- Pass a psychological evaluation and pass a thorough medical examination based on medical standards.
- For a full list of minimum requirements, see the job posting at www.SCCJobs.org.
|Entry Level Salary||$41.81 Hourly while attending the academy|
|Academy Graduate||$44.66 Hourly / $92,894.88 Annually|
|Top Pay||$54.29 Hourly / $112,921.12 Annually|
If you are a military veteran you may now get the G.I. Bill through the academy and post academy training for Correctional Deputy and Deputy Sheriff through our state certified apprenticeship programs. Inquire with the backgrounds team after being hired for more information and the required paperwork.
The examination process may include one or more of the following: application review, application appraisal, preliminary competitive rating, performance test, written test, and/or oral interview examination. The recruitment may require completion of Supplemental Questions in order to evaluate your education, training, and experience relative to the required knowledge and abilities for the position.
There are many resources to help you prepare for the STCACO Examination. The BSCC S.T.C. website provides an Orientation Booklet for the STCACO Examination which can be found here and at the link at the Written Examinations page.
Veterans Preference Information
Any veteran who has submitted a copy of their DD214 form and received a discharge of other than dishonorable, from the armed forces showing service in any branch of the United States military will be given preferential credit to five percent (ten percent for those identified as disabled veterans), after attaining a passing examination score for a numerically scored examination, as applicable by Memorandum of Understanding.
Upon graduation of the S.T.C. academy and appointment to Sheriff's Correctional Deputy:
- Salaries range from $40.87 - $49.68 Hourly and $85,015.84 - $103,340.64 Annually.
- Career Incentive Pay of up to 7.5% of salary for qualified employees.
- CalPERS retirement (3% at 50 formula for classic members; 2.7% at 57 for new members).
- Comprehensive benefits including generous vacation time and medical/dental/vision/life packages.
- 457(b) deferred compensation plans up to $18,000 per year.
- Tuition reimbursement for education advancement.
- 12 double time and a half (2.5x) paid Holidays per year.
- Bi- Annual uniform allowance.
- Night shift differential.
- Bi-Lingual pay.
- Some specialty assignments qualify for additional compensation.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Applications must be submitted online at www.SCCJobs.org.
Additional Career Opportunities